A no-annual-fee airline card that still earns miles at a decent clip is hard to come by, so if you’ve been thinking about opening a rewards card but balk at paying for it year after year, the United Gateway card could be your best bet. (Partner offer)
At a glance
- 2X Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United® purchases, at gas stations and on local transit and commuting
- 1X Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
This is the most basic of United’s credit cards, with no annual fee, but you can still accrue miles fast thanks to a sign-up bonus of 20,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open, and earning rates of 2x on United purchases, gas stations and local transits and commuting. It’s also a good choice for international travel thanks to the fact that it waives foreign transaction fees.
- No annual fee
- Earn 2 miles per dollar on a variety of purchases including those from United, gas stations and on local transit and commuting
- No foreign transaction fees
- Few day-of-travel benefits like free checked bags
- More limited travel and purchase protections than with other United cards
- Low sign-up bonus
Who is this card good for?
If you’re just getting started with United, or with airline miles in general, the United Gateway might be a great choice for you. It does not charge an annual fee, so you don’t have to worry about squeezing tons of value from it year after year, and you can still use it to earn miles on both United flights and everyday purchases.
The card earns 2x miles on United purchases, at gas stations and on local transit and commuting. It earns 1x on all other purchases.